5.26.2011

My first 5K

Pre Run at Minnehaha Falls!
So exciting news….I ran my VERY FIRST 5K two weeks ago! It was pretty random and a coworker and I decided to sign up a week and a half before the event. It all started when I ran around the lake by my house (3 miles) without stopping. At that point, I decided I was ready for a 5K. So I asked my coworker if she wanted to join and we signed up. We decided to do the MN AIDS Run for the Ribbon event. They are a nonprofit agency dedicated to stopping HIV through prevention, advocacy, awareness and services. Awesome cause!

It was the COOLEST experience ever! I ended up running by myself for it as my coworker and I ran at different speeds. In the beginning, the fog horn blows and everyone starts running. There’s also a full audience of people cheering you on with signs and encouragement! During the race, I only stopped twice towards the end (after the 3 mile mark) because I was getting a side ache. As I was reaching the finish line, everyone was cheering me on and putting their hands out for high-fives. I was running solo so EVERYONE, like 150 people at least, were looking at ME! The energy was amazing!
Right when I stopped running I felt like I was going to throw up – I think it was because I was so used to the gravity of running since I barely stopped and kept pushing myself to run. The feeling only lasted for a few minutes and I felt better once I drank some water and cooled off. They had tons of vendors giving out tons of free stuff (juice, snacks, first aid kits, little knick knacks, etc.).
And because I loved it SO much, I am doing another 5K next month! Eventually, I would love to do a marathon but I’ll be taking baby steps for now.
On a final note, I have had some exciting opportunities and things that have come up that I am super excited about it. I truly believe now more than ever that if you are good person and do good things, good thing will happen to you. I am feeling hopeful about a lot of things lately and in the next few weeks, I hope to share what’s been going on. I don’t want to jinx anything!
Happy (almost) Friday!


No comments:

Post a Comment