3.25.2011

The Catch 22 of finding that right career


I’m sure I’m not the only one who feels the way I feel when it comes to finding that right career. We want something where we’re making more money but then we also want a job we are happy in, enjoy doing, etc.
But what happens when the job you want is very limited and very competitive (I mean, the job market is already really competitive but some areas are more competitive than others)?
I’m reaching a crossroads in my career life and need to start making some big decisions as to where I want to go. Anyone who knows me, knows I hate making big decisions. They bring me anxiety and make me feel uncomfortable. I also get scared of change where as some people really embrace change; I wish I could be more like that.
What I do know is that I really, really, want to get into the marketing communications field. I have been in it before and I do get marketing communications related projects in my current position. I am technically in merchandising right now which correlates with marketing (so that’s good) but those projects are far and few between. Since January, I’ve probably had something about once a month.
However, there are a few opportunities that have presented themselves within my current company this week. Job #1 is definitely not what I want (it’s not even in marketing communications) and is one of the most stressful jobs in the company – not even joking.  Job #2 I would maybe consider but is still not in the marketing communications area but I could get those types of projects with that job.  Both jobs pay more but Job #2 is a little bit less per year.  I know I could do both jobs and with my extensive (almost ridiculous) about of experience I have and the amount of years I’ve been with company, I could get promoted pretty easily to either. And I’m not trying to sound self absorbed here; HR knows I want to move up and they know my experience with the company.
But I’m not deciding quite yet. I decided to wait it out a little longer to see if something that is more what I want opens up. I have a few connections and it’s not like I’ve been at my current entry level job forever –it’s been one year, five months. On top of that, it’s not like I haven’t tried to move up. I’ve already have had TWO interviews scheduled for TWO jobs this year that I REALLY wanted. One got cancelled due to a hiring freeze and the other I was thisclose to getting and was one of the top two candidates but the other was chosen due to her having more web design/social networking experience. Craptastic!
I have my job shadow/tour for the advertising/communications agency in the beginning of April and we’ll see what they say about any opportunities there.

I would feel horrible if I took a job that I took to make more money and then two months later a job that I would love opened up but I couldn’t apply for it because I already took on another job. I feel some sort of promotion will come this year but I just need to ride the wave and be patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment