3.03.2011

The road to skinny

The road to becoming happier and healthier has been one of the most challenging yet rewarding experiences of my life. I have never felt more motivated and dedicated to lose weight in my life than I do now.

Guess what? Losing weight is 90% mental, 10% physical. Just think about it, you need to have the discipline, motivation and dedication (90%) so that you can apply yourself to work out and eat right (10%). This is my own realization so I’m not sure if this is scientifically correct or if experts would agree but I imagine they would say something like that.

My weight loss has slowed down a bit so it’s become more of a challenge. In the last 2 weeks since I got back from California I started making more changes to speed it up a little to a steady two pounds per week.

I haven’t drunk soda and I’ve kept to my calorie goal of burning at least 2000 calories a week.  I definitely gained a pound on my Cali trip which has since been lost. I also decided to lift weights for at least 15 minutes of my lunch break at least three times/week in addition to my one hour work outs five days/week.

I thought I would also share with you these five awesome tips from Bob Greene, Oprah Winfrey’s personal trainer. If you are stuggling with being motivated, READ THESE TIPS!! I saw him on one of her shows like a month ago and when he said these five things, I realized that I was already doing these things and that is what has contributed to my success. Seriously, read these tips. They are SO helpful.

{1.} Have a clear vision of what you want. "Picture your life the way you want it," Bob says. "You could even be the most motivated person on the planet. If you don't have a vision for yourself, your motivation will take you somewhere away from the vision that you want for your life."

Also, make sure your vision is realistic. "If you're 5'4" and you want to be 6'1", have a different vision," he says. "In your heart, you need to know that you can achieve it."

{2.} Convince yourself that you are deserving. Bob says it's critical to break down this barrier. "[People] feel unworthy because that was reinforced growing up by either an unsupportive adult or authority figure,” Bob says. “You're reconfirming [that] by sabotaging your own efforts.”

{3.} Identify the biggest barriers holding you back. Bob says there's a big difference between a barrier and an excuse. "I've heard every excuse imaginable—except a good one," he says. "A barrier is more of an issue."

"We all have a natural aversion to discomfort and pain, and that's the irony on both exercise and diet. You don't want to give up. There's some discomfort giving up your favorite foods," he says. "If you're doing exercise right, you have a level of discomfort to get results. And we are wired to avoid discomfort and seek pleasure."

{4.} Break through the barriers. Bob says the only way to break through a barrier is to identify what's holding you back. "You have barriers for a reason. They're coping mechanisms in many cases. Breaking through takes courage, but the benefits could last a lifetime.

{5.} Put yourself first. "Another way to say that is, 'Get the support you need,'" he says. "It's getting the people in your life on board."
 
Don't make excuses. Its OK to say no if you feel like something would interfere with you going to the gym or with your weight loss goals. Example: happy hour with friends.

Sorry for the long post but I thought it was necessary to share this. :)


5 comments:

  1. I agree with all of that 100%! It sounds very similar to what they tell you at Weight Watchers. Most of it is mental and to truly change your life, you have to implement the mental stuff...or you'll go right back to your old ways once the weight is lost. That is SO true! Katy, you look fabulous! Keep up the good work!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on shedding the pounds, Katy. You're a true inspiration. :) -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I like the blog idea, been considering doing it myself but never got around to it. Perhaps I will now that you've inspired me! Also probably help to motivate myself on my own weight loss journey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone although I have no idea who this Katy person is. ;)

    @Lindsey: That's pretty neat Weight Watchers thinks the same thing that I came to realize - just gives me a bonus affirmation that I can figure things out myself. hehe.

    @Lauren: That's very sweet. It's amazing how you can still eat yummy food yet still lose weight...I love skinnytaste.com !

    @Maha: You should totally do a blog! I will even follow you. We could be support sistas. :)

    ReplyDelete